Everyone is talking about the Internet of Things (IoT) and how it can be a trillion dollar industry by 2020, but what really is the Internet of Things? According to a Goldman Sachs' report on Internet of Things, the term was first used in 1999 by Kevin Ashton, a British technologist from MIT. IoT is the connection of devices ranging from everyday consumer products to big industrial equipment on a network that enables information to be collected and managed via software to increase efficiency, create new services and/or provide other health, safety and environmental benefits. It’s also the third stage in the development of the Internet and, according to experts, it will be the biggest. As we have seen, the Internet has led to many profound changes in our lives, and to the fortunes of many businesses and industries. The rise of the IoT will almost certainly do the same and, as before, many winners -- and losers -- will emerge from this movement.
GearBrain helps you understand what experts are saying about the Internet of Things and what to expect from this new revolution of connected devices today and beyond. We take a complicated but fast growing marketplace of technologies and simplify it for everyone. Listed below are links to research reports and articles from leading industry publications and organizations that will help you learn about the benefits and pitfalls of a new connected world. If we missed something, or if you would like to share your experiences or information on the IoT, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Smart Home Automation:
- Welcome to Your Smart Home
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Smart Home System
- From B to Z: How Your Smart Home Speaks Wireless
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Buying Smart LED Light Bulb
- 5 Questions Around Smart Security Cameras
- Connected Home Theater Guide: What You Need To Know Before You Buy
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Buying Smart Locks
- Caller ID for Your Home: 5 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Smart Door Bell
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Smart Switch
- Internet of Things Devices Transform Your Smart Home Office
- 4 Smart Office Questions to Ask Before You Buy
- How To Make Your Car a Mobile Hot Spot
- What is the connected Car?
- The Connected Car (Inc. Magazine)
- How Hackable is Your Car?
- How to Protect Your Privacy and Data in an Internet of Things World
- How to Install Security on Any Computer
- Nine Simple Steps to Secure Your Router
- Are Hackers Reading Your Heart Rate?
- Buying IoT Devices: 10 Security Concerns to Consider
- Antivirus Protection for your Smartphone
- Wi-Fi Security: 3 Things Everyone Needs to Do
- Who Will Step Up to Secure the Internet of things?
- IoT security: How to do it (mostly) right
- Internet of Things Security Issues Require a Rethink on Risk Managment
Internet of Things Research :
- Digital Life in 2025 - by Pew Research
- The Internet of Things - McKinsey & Company
- UnLocking the Potential of Internet of Things - McKinsey & Company
- Internet of Things (IoT) - Cisco
- Internet of Things Consortium
- Create the Internet of Your Things - Microsoft
- How the Internet of Things Changes Everything - Harvard Business Review
- The Internet of Things: The Next Mega-Trend - Goldman Sachs
- Intel® IoT Developer Kit
- Windows Developer Program for IoT
- Internet of Things Software Developer Kit - Open Source BSD
- Xively - the Public Cloud specifically built for the Internet of Things
- IoT Developer Kit Qualcomm
- IoT Developer Kit - Broadcom's Wiced