What You Need To Know To Build A Smart Home
One of the main reasons I created GearBrain was to help simplify all this new emerging technology which can turn your house into a smart home. I found there was a ton of new products coming to market and no one was helping the consumer determine which were the right ones for their home. They also weren't helping consumers figure out where to start to build a smart home. Therefore, I am writing this article to help you learn where to start and how to build the right smart home system for your house. GearBrain has covered many of these areas and topics but now it's time to make it easy for you to find them.
Today, the homeowner has so much to choose from when it comes to selecting the right smart home solution. They also need help in understanding how all this technology works in order to determine which products/services you need. We've put together a list of articles which we know can help you understand the basics in building a smart home solution:
Smart Home System:
- How To Make Your House A Smart Home: This article helps you understand the basics in building a smart home system.
- From B to Z: How Your Smart Home Speaks Wireless: This article explains the key wireless protocols you need to know when building a smart home.
- 5 Questions To Ask Before Purchasing a Smart Home System: This article will help you understand the different types of products you can get for your smart home.
- Here's Six Cool, Smart Home System Alternatives: This will help you learn more about the alternative smart home systems on the market today.
Home Security System:
- Home Security's Disruption Eruption: What You Need To Know: Here you will learn about the three different types of home security system options available for today's smart home.
- Will IoT Lock Down Your House Or Open The Door To Hackers?: This article will help you learn about the vulnerabilities of IoT devices and how to protect them from hackers.
- 5 Best Questions Around Smart Security Cameras: In case you just want to buy a single security video camera, here are a list of important questions you need to ask before you buy one.
- Nest Cam: One of the Best Smart Security Cameras: one of the best security cameras to consider.
- Home Security Options: From DIY To Professionally-Installed - This article will assist you in finding the best home security system based on your smart home needs. It provides names of the best home security systems for each of the home security system available today.
- 5 Best Questions To Ask Before Buying a Smart LED Bulb: Here are questions which can help you buy the right smart LED bulb for your smart home.
- Smart Light Bulbs Have A Big Achilles Heel: Learn what happens if you don't use smart LED bulbs correctly.
- Philips Hue Smart Bulbs Cast A Bright Glow: here is one of the best LED smart bulbs to consider.
- Best Smart Lights Roundup: a list of the best smart LED lights for you to choose for your smart home.
- 5 Smart Questions To Ask Before Buying a Smart Lock: Learn about smart locks and what you need to know before buying one.
- Smart Locks Get Smart About Making a Backup Plan: Learn how to set up a backup plan in case your smart lock doesn't work. Understanding this prior to purchasing a smart lock is key.
- 5 Questions To Ask Before Buying A Smart Doorbell For Your Smart Home: If you want to get a video doorbell to go with your smart locks, this article will help understand how video doorbells work and what to know before you buy one.
- Best Smart Home Locks - here is a list of good smart locks to consider.
Leak Detectors: Smart Leak Detectors Make You Aware If There's Water Water Everywhere: Water damage is the #1 insurance claim among homeowners. Learn about how they work and how you can integrate a leak detector into your smart home system. Also, check out Best water leak protectors. Its a list of the best leak detectors to consider buying for your smart home.
Smart Shades/Blinds: Smart Home Shades: Great Idea, If You've Got The Money: This will help you learn not only how smart shades work, but which ones to consider for your smart home system. Also, check out Lutron Serena Review: Rewarding Smart Shade Control, After a Strenuous Install, one of the best smart shades on the market.
- Your Smart Appliance May Not be That Smart, Yet: With connectivity coming to appliances, here are insights on what you need to know before you buy one of these new connected appliances.
- Is Your Smart TV Smart Enough To Run Your Home? It Will Be: Our TVs are growing smarter each day but is that a good thing? Does it really matter? This article will help you understand how smart televisions work and the benefits they offer.
- Smart Home & Appliances Offer Big Opportunities But Consumers Need Education: good article on what's coming and what you need to know about smart appliances.
Voice Activation: More and more connected devices are coming to market and are being integrated with Amazon's Alexa or Apple's Siri. Here at GearBrain, we believe voice will help with adoption of new connected devices and assist consumers in building the best smart home solution. Check out Voice Is The New App to learn more about voice activation and recognition and its role in the smart home ecosystem. You can also leanr more about Amazon Echo by checking out GearBrain's Amazon Echo: Best AI Digital Assistant For Any Smart Home.
Lastly, one of the biggest concerns among consumers today is the security of their new devices. According to a recent research study by Houzz.com, they found more than half of the respondents to their survey would not buy a smart home device because they had security concerns. Here are two articles which will help you understand more about Internet of Things (IoT) security and ways to protect your new connected devices:
We hope this is helpful and prepares you for the next phase in the building of your smart home. Even though many of the new connected devices coming on to the smart home market might not be ready for prime time, we are very bullish on the market outlook. As more consumers understand how all these new devices work and determine which ones are right for them, we expect to see a big increase in adoption. We look forward to joining you on your new journey in building the right smart home for you.
If you need help installing any of these Smart Home Systems or products , you can visit HomeAdvisor.com to find a local trusted professional.