By Jennifer Lin
A wireless doorbell system includes a chime box receiver and a doorbell transmitter. The transmitter attached to the outside of the home, sends a radio signal to the inside of the home where the receiver is located. This happens when someone pushes the transmitter button. A smart wireless doorbell system can run on batteries or be connected to the main electrical system in the house.
Because no wiring is needed with a wireless doorbell, two or more receivers can be used. Many homeowners place a second receiver in the garage or basement to ensure hearing the doorbell while working outside the home. Many receivers will flash a bright light when set off, which is helpful for those who are slight of hearing. Some systems even have a sound and tone sensor that alert the homeowner of motion near or around the door.
Doorbell systems range in price from $20 to $150, with the higher end systems including an intercom system and video. Well-known brands like Heath Zenith and Byron and SkyBell offer low and high end systems. Wireless doorbells, depending on the features wanted, can be quite affordable and worth every penny. Of course, while the intercom and video features are not necessary, they can be used to keep a property safe and secure.
While the distance between the receiver and transmitter is usually between 200 and 400 feet, any walls or doors can reduce the distance to about 50 to 125 feet, or even less. If the walls or doors are metal, this could affect the system to the point of not even being able to receive a signal from the transmitter. It is smart before buying a wireless system to walk around the property and note if there is anything that could interfere with the signal.
Most transmitter switches are water-resistant, and if not, any kind of lubricant can help make a switch waterproof. The switch, when pressed, should flash a light or click, allowing visitors and guests to know that it has been triggered. This is most important when the receiver is located deep within the house, making the bell hard or even impossible to hear.
A wireless doorbell sounds complicated, but is actually quite simple and easy to use. If a homeowner is thinking of upgrading to a new doorbell system, wireless is a definite option in terms of cost and convenience. A homeowner should choose a doorbell system based on the homes appearance, age and methods of upkeep, maintenance and installation. This will add to the homes level of security, comfort and charm for years to come.
How Do Regular and Wireless Doorbells Work?
The doorbell rings and people often do not think about the technology involved. There is actually quite a lot going on behind the scenes and how much is usually not realized until the item stops functioning. Regular and wireless doorbells work differently, with each process being very different. Knowing how these operate makes it easier for them to be fixed when they fail to indicate the arrival of a visitor.
A traditional doorbell rings when a piece of flat metal presses against a hot wire that runs beneath the doorbell button. Once the metal touches the wire, the circuit completes and electrical current heads toward a chime box, which originates the ringing. The noise stops when the button is released, breaking the circuit. With most of these types of doorbells, an internal electromagnet attracts the iron parts when current is activated. Sounds emit when this magnet causes an iron tab to press against the chime bar.
Electrical current is continuously running through this doorbell circuitry but it is lower than the regular house current. This makes it necessary to attach a transformer to a doorbell circuit. That device reduces the higher house current to the between ten and 24 volts needed to operate a doorbell. The current is delivered to the electromagnet, which activates that sound that the homeowner hears when the button is pushed.
In some cases, there will be different chime bars for the front and back doors, creating a different tone for each door. One chime bar creates a single tone, while two chime bars hit successively create the "ding dong" tone with which we are familiar. Electronic doorbells have pre-programmed tones, including songs, musical notes, and birds chirping. These feature computer chips rather than electromagnets and some of them are wireless.
The technology behind wireless doorbells involves a radio signal that is transmitted when the button is pushed. A receiver picks up this signal and then triggers the light, buzzer, or chime feature of the doorbell. In most cases, wireless models feature variable frequencies in order to reduce interference with neighboring doorbells.
Though there are no special wiring instructions, the delicate circuitry contained in wireless doorbells makes it necessary to take care during installation. If the electronic chime box is dropped, the item can become damaged. Some models are battery powered, while others plug into an electrical outlet. Portable versions may be carried around and many manufacturers make their various models compatible so multiple units can be installed.
Choosing the Best Wireless Doorbell
One of the most important devices in our home is the wireless doorbell which most of us doesn't realize. It is one of the first equipment that your guest will see and use of. Therefore, it is very important that your doorbell is dependable and works properly. It also must look good. Your doorbell should be able to complement the style and color of your house and not appear to be cheap. Luckily for us homeowners, there is a wide variety of designs available for us to choose from. You should be able to choose a doorbell that would best suit your taste, home and budget.
Wireless doorbells are known to provide durability, security and long life. With these, you no longer find the urge or need to call electricians for the purpose of fixing your doorbells. It comes relies in radio waves rather than wires and it connects the bells switch using a safe, simple and sophisticated system. With wireless doorbells, you don't need to use any wires and it is precisely for this reason that it is considerably easy for anyone to get the systems connected within a couple of minutes.
Features to Consider When Choosing the Right Wireless Doorbell System
Usually, the switch of the wireless doorbells is a small battery powered transmitter that is self-contained. There are different types of wireless doorbells in the market and while this is the case, it is important to weigh your options carefully before making your purchase. Some of the factors that need to come into play include the following:
- The wireless doorbell systems you purchase should come with some speakers which are portable. With this speaker, you will be able to position the doorbell in a region that is clearly audible through the entire house.
- Its range is expected to cover is also important and in this case, it is important to ensure that the signal which comes from the push button can get transmitted to your main unit. Keep in mind that thick internal walls as well as solid stones have the ability to degrade the clarity of the signal when making your purchase.
- Since the push button is going to be located outdoors, it is important to check and confirm that it is designed to adapt to outdoor conditions. They should be rainproof and heat resistant. These are important considerations since they increase the durability of your wireless doorbells.
- Different wireless doorbells come with different chimes and it is for this reason that it is considered important to settle with a chime that is liked by all members of the family. This is because there are some chimes which are known to annoy people. Make sure that the chimes selected are soothing and pleasant to the ears. Keep in mind that they should also be loud enough.
- For the purpose of ensuring you get the most out of the wireless doorbells, it is advisable to settle with models that have long life batteries. Depending on the type bought, there are different types of batteries and it is advisable to opt for models that have standard batteries. This is because these are known to last longer. What is more, they don't require any constant replacements. Also, consider getting some advanced wireless doorbell systems that have the ability to give alarm warnings when the battery starts getting low.
- There are some wireless doorbells that come with multiple push buttons and you should consider buying these especially if your home has some multiple entrances.
- If you need an intercom, then you should shop for wireless doorbells that have this feature. It lets you know whoever is at the door without necessarily having to open the door.
- Once all these factors are taken into consideration, it should be easy to find wireless doorbells that perfectly meet your individual needs.
Rules on choosing the best wireless doorbell
Here are some few tips that would help you choose the best wireless doorbell
• Find a wireless doorbell that is not cheap but also not over-priced. Go around and collect some price range. The price should just be in the "middle of the road", to get a solid device that will work every time you need it. For buying products, prices isn't always a determining factor but if you get a cheap product, a cheap doorbell perhaps chances are the quality just isn't that good.
• Always remember to shop on a store with a good return policy. You should be able to test your doorbell in your home and if it's not loud enough, you can always return it and get a better one.
• Your doorbell should be able to make a sound that is loud enough for you to hear in every room or have the capability to expand your electronic door chime throughout the house. It should be a loud wireless doorbell and if not you can return it and get one that is.
• You should be able to hear the sound of the doorbell from the outside as well. If you cannot hear it outside, the person who is ringing might think that it is not working driving the people inside the house nuts. That person in the front door could be ringing and ringing never knowing that the wireless doorbell actually works driving you crazy.
Advantages on choosing a wireless doorbell
One main advantages of choosing a wireless doorbell system is its easy installation. Installing a regular doorbell will require proper wiring and installation and many homeowners would require a professional to install it. Unlike the wireless doorbell, all you need to do is connect the receiver on a power outlet and simply hang your doorbell unit outside your door. Its easy installation makes it very popular among homeowners. It is also portable – you can easily switch your wireless doorbell to another location when transferring in to another house.
-Jennifer Lin is a guest writer, who contributes to Hubnames.com.
If you need help installing any of these Smart Home Systems or products , you can visit HomeAdvisor.com to find a local trusted professional.