Apple store in Amsterdam evacuated after iPad battery explodes
…and this isn't the first time Apple's had a battery issue
An Apple Store in Amsterdam's Leidseplein square was evacuated after a single iPad battery apparently overheated, reports Netherlands news site iCulture.
Employees submerged the iPad and battery into sand, and emergency personnel, including the fire department, were sent to the store as well to ensure the air was cleared of any potential toxic substances. Three Apple employees were also reportedly treated for problems related to the leaking batteries and chemicals getting into the air.
The Apple store in Amsterdam is located in a popular area near the Leidseplein square populated with tourists and street performers and close to the Singelgracht canal. It opened in 2012 as the first Apple store in Amsterdam, and features a spiral, glass staircase similar to the one at New York's Fifth Avenue location.
Brandweer aanwezig bij incident met mobiel apparaat bij de #AppleStore #Leidseplein. Geen rook, wel drie personen met ademhalingsproblemen. Vermoedelijk door een lekkende accupack. Zij worden ter plaatse nagekeken.
— Brandweer AA (@BrandweerAA) August 19, 2018
Apple recently launched a battery replacement program, offering iPhone users a way to get new ones for just $29 each. That's a huge cut in price from the $79 Apple once charged. Apple's decision to launch the program didn't come from battery problems but after the company admitted to slowing down iPhones on purpose, to improve performance.
Still, there have been reports of battery problems with other Apple products from both Switzerland and Spain, where two stores were also evacuated after incidents with iPhone batteries, 9to5 Mac reported.
The Apple store remains closed — and Genius Bar appointments were apparently cancelled.