September 27, 2016 - Today, Wink introduced Wink Hub 2, the world's first smart home hub created for the mainstream consumer. With industry-leading smart home device support, enhanced connectivity features, and a sleek design, Wink Hub 2 brings hundreds of products from best-in-class brands together in one simple experience. Wink also announced major upgrades to the Wink mobile app, soon to be available in the 5.0 release of its software.
Since its launch, Wink has grown to become the largest DIY smart home platform with over 1.7 million devices connected. Designed to bring simplicity to the smart home experience, Wink lets users monitor, control, and automate their smart products with ease through the intuitive Wink mobile app. Wink Hub 2 introduces new features that connect your home faster, more securely and more reliably.
"Wink's mission is to make the smart home accessible, and empower users to harness the real world benefits it provides in everyday life," said Nathan Smith, Wink founder and CTO. "Wink Hub 2 enables users regardless of their technical know-how to buy the products they love from the brands they trust, and know with confidence they'll work together seamlessly through Wink."
A new Ethernet port and improved Wi-Fi radio improve network connectivity, while the 25% slimmer, upright design maximizes range to ensure Wink Hub 2 communicates with smart products smoothly. Version 5.0 of the Wink mobile app will introduce new software improvements including auto-discovery for faster setup, and a new, industry-first process that quickly transfers smart products and automations from the original Wink Hub to Wink Hub 2.
- Improved connectivity: A more powerful Wi-Fi radio that supports 2.4 and 5GHz networks and the addition of an Ethernet port ensure reliable and fast network connectivity.
- Auto-discovery: The Wink app automatically detects when Wink Hub 2 is plugged in for the first time, prompting users through a drastically simplified setup process.
- Hub-to-hub transfer process: Existing Wink users can automatically transfer their smart products, automations, and personal settings from the original Wink Hub to Wink Hub 2, in a matter of minutes through the Wink app.
- Industry-leading device support: Wink Hub 2 supports more smart home technologies than any other, including Bluetooth Low Energy, Kidde, Lutron Clear Connect, Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, and ZigBee. It also includes a Thread-capable radio for future support.
- More advanced home automations: Wink Hub 2 runs advanced automations like Schedules (which prompt actions to take place at certain times of the day) and Robots (through which one product can trigger a series of actions in other products) locally for increased speed and reliability.
- Industrial grade security: New hardware features - including cryptographic verification - prevent tampering and ensure Wink Hub 2 only runs trusted software.
- Sleek design: Wink Hub 2 is 25% slimmer and sports a refined, sleek design. Intended to be featured prominently in the home, not hidden behind cords, the upright structure maximizes range to ensure Wink Hub 2 communicates with smart products smoothly.
Pricing and Availability
Wink Hub 2 has an MSRP of $99 (U.S.) and will be available in late October at The Home Depot, select Walmart stores and at Walmart.com, Amazon.com, and Wink.com. The Wink mobile app is available for free download through the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The original Wink Hub has an MSRP of $69 (U.S.) and is available at The Home Depot, Amazon.com, and Wink.com while supplies last.
Wink is the smart home platform that brings all your favorite products together – so you can easily monitor, control, and automate them wherever you are. With 31 brand partners, hundreds of compatible products, and over 1.7 million devices connected to the platform and counting, Wink makes the smart home accessible to everyone. Founded in 2014, Wink is based in New York, and is a subsidiary of Flex. For more information, visit www.wink.com.