Google's new Seamless Setup makes it much quicker and easier to add compatible new devices to your smart home.
- Google displays are finally getting Sticky Notes and Sunrise Alarms
- How to reset your Google Home Mini or Nest Mini to factory settings
- Okay Google, entertain me: Games and quizzes to play with your smart speaker
What Seamless Setup does is bypass the process of first setting up a new smart home device using the companion app created by its manufacturer, before then adding it to your Google Home system.
Without the need to install the companion app first, you can simply plug in the new device, power it up for the first time and add it directly to your Google setup using the Google Home app.
For now, only smart lights work with Google Seamless Setup Google
This can save a fair bit of time, but also removes a lot of complexity, since without Seamless Setup smart home builders often had to jump between Google and third party apps multiple times to set up each device. If the device you are installing has Seamless Setup, there's no need to even download the manufacturer's own app.
You also don't need to worry about connecting the device to a hub or bridge, as it connects directly to your Google or Nest smart speaker or display , like the Nest Hub, Google Home Mini, or Nest Audio .
How to set up a device using Google Seamless Setup
All you have to do is switch your new device on, then follow these simple instructions:
- Open the Google Home smartphone app
- Tap on the + in the top left corner
- Tap on Set Up New Device, then New Devices
Google Seamless Setup instructions GearBrain
You might need to confirm the home in which the device is being installed, then tap Next and wait for the Google Home app to search for the new device waiting to be set up. Now tap on the device, assign it to a room, give it a name, and you are done.
Which devices support Google Seamless Setup?
The answer to this is, not many – at least for now. As of January 2021 you are mostly limited to smart lights , including Cync (formerly called C by GE), Sylvania Smart+, Philips Hue Bluetooth, Nanoleaf, and the Smart LED Bulb M2 by Yeelight.
You can see the full list of devices that work with Seamless Setup on Google's support pages here .
Check out The GearBrain, our smart home compatibility checker to see the other compatible products that work with Google Assistant enabled devices.
Introduction of The GearBrain, The First Compatibility Find Engine for Smart Devices www.youtube.com
- Google Home can now multitask and do two things at once - Gearbrain ›
- How to build a comprehensive smart home for $2,000 - Gearbrain ›
- How to factory reset your Philips Hue smart home lighting - Gearbrain ›